Thursday, November 14, 2013

Bernstein High football players earn letters — of parents' love (Los Angeles Times)

At Coach Masaki Matsumoto's prompting, the moms and dads of Dragons players pour out their feelings about their sons. It all imparts a lesson about commitment and support.

Story and video by Eric Sondheimer
Photography by Cheryl A. Guerrero

Damian Sanchez was downcast. It was the day after his football team's first loss of the season, and the senior defensive back from Hollywood Bernstein High was having a tough time shaking the disappointment.

After a team meeting, he returned to the one-bedroom apartment near Koreatown he shares with his mother and two younger brothers, took a shower, then opened the door to a closet to reach for a clean shirt.

That's when he was once again drawn to the piece of paper taped to the wall next to his clothes. He paused to read the handwritten words.

"I want to tell you that from the moment you were in my belly, I loved you dearly. I love you then, today and always. You are my world, my everything. Without you, there's no me."

It was a letter from his mother, Myrna, and it had the desired effect.

"I see it every day in the morning before I go to school," said Damian, 17. "It makes me think everything will be fine."

For more on this fascinating story:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-c1-bernstein-football-letters-20131114-dto,0,300209,print.htmlstory

No comments:

Post a Comment